PCC Minutes – July 2021

St Paul’s Stockingford PCC Meeting

14th July 2021

(Meeting held via Zoom)

Present: Revd Kate Massey, Revd Jo Joyce, Andrew Godfrey, Susan West, David Spiers, Rob Jones, Gary King, Ann Pipe, Les Pipe, Anne Murray, Steve Marsden, Nigel Blease, Kim Fawcett.

Apologies: Emma Kennedy, Jane Udall, Mary Ball, Mark Magee, Paul West.

Revd Kate opened the meeting with prayer.

Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising:

The minutes of the previous meeting (09-06-21) were approved. All decisions made at that meeting have been ratified by a majority of members via email.

Matters arising: Several PCC members felt that the previous discussion regarding the cruet sets was not complete – agreed for this to be discussed further under Worship and Spirituality.

Safeguarding Update:

The Safer Recruitment process for the following people has been carried out, and PCC approved the safer recruitment of: Andrew Godfrey; Les Pipe; Mary Ball; Christine Smith.

Church Building – Re-opening:

The Government’s Covid restrictions are easing on 19th July. We are awaiting further guidance from the Church of England.

Following discussion, and subject to the CofE guidance when published, it was agreed that:

The regular chairs would be placed back in the main body of the church in rows, with people allowed to sit in household groups of up to six, but leaving a space of at least 2 chairs between different households.

People to be encouraged to be considerate to others, especially those who may be more vulnerable or are more nervous about the risks.

People will no longer need to book a chair space for the service.

People will be strongly encouraged to wear masks whilst inside the building.

Communion to continue to be offered in one kind (bread only).

No singing in the church building, but continue to sing the final hymn outside at the end of the service.

8am Sunday Service to be resumed in September.

Continue to clean high touch areas regularly.

There will be a break in live streaming the 10am Sunday service through August, with streaming of the 8am service from September (no longer live streaming the 10am service).

Action – Kate and Churchwardens to review the Church of England guidance when it is published.

The Brownies have requested that they be allowed to meet inside the building from September. This was agreed (and for other groups that request it), subject to an updated risk assessment (to include Covid measures) and additional cleaning.

Action – the lettings/hire agreement for groups using the church building and parish centre to be updated to include the standard safeguarding statement, and to be re-issued to groups that return from September.

Growing Faith Update from Cluster Meeting

https://coventry.anglican.org/children-young-people/growing-faith-main2/

Kate gave an update from the recent cluster meeting regarding the Diocese’s Growing Faith project. This involves including and considering young people and children in all aspects of the church life, and maximising the impact of all the current work going on with families and schools. The group will share ideas, resources and best practice.

Considering becoming an Eco Church

We had previously started the process to become an eco church but this was not completed (during interregnum period). Andrew reported that the Green Audit survey had been carried out this week, with particular interest in how we use energy in the church, and the report is expected in about a month. PCC agreed to complete the eco-church survey.   

Action – group to get together to complete the Eco Church survey following the receipt of the Green Audit report.

Reports and Decisions from sub-Committees

Worship and Spirituality:

There was further discussion about replacing the cruet sets, in particular regarding whether to continue to try to source suitable silver cruets or to look at options for glass cruets. A vote was taken, and PCC agreed to look at options for glass cruets (7 votes for glass, 4 votes for silver).

Buildings and Finance:

A copy of the accounts had been circulated by Gary before the meeting. Income and expenditure is in line with last year and the bank balance is still healthy. Gift Aid to be claimed for the past 6 months. There are currently no large items of expenditure, however the quinquennial may identify some necessary works.

An email was received from the DAC regarding the plaque for Hannah’s Tree (agreed at previous meeting). They have refused permission for a brass plaque, but would approve an oak plaque. PCC agreed to an oak plaque, subject to agreement from Noelle and the Guides.

We are still awaiting a response from the DAC regarding the works required to the roof.

Kate had circulated a form showing the current and potential future uses of AV equipment, to start to scope out what new equipment would be required.

Action – set up a working group with a representative from the Buildings & Finance, Worship & Spirituality, and 200 by 200 subcommittees.

PCC agreed to recruitment of a temporary cleaner over the summer period. This will allow for the duties and hours to be reviewed before a permanent cleaner is recruited.

Action – Jane Udall to be thanked for her hard work and commitment as volunteer cleaner.

Mission and Outreach/200 by 200:

Ten-minute Tuesday videos – seven videos had been put on Facebook exploring faith, science and faith journeys. These have been very successful, with almost 3400 views. These seem to be reaching a wider audience and there are plans to produce more following a break for the summer. These may have a more theological theme.

Action – wider discussion on the future approach to evangelism to be discussed at a future PCC meeting.

Social Committee:

The Summer Gala plans are going well but more volunteers are needed. There will be additional measures in place to reduce the Covid risk.

Any other business:

An email has been received from researchers interested in surveying bats in church buildings.

Action –Ann to respond to decline as we do not have bats in the church.

Date of next meeting:

Wednesday 18th August 2021, 7.30pm (via Zoom)

This entry was posted in PCC. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s