St Paul’s Stockingford PCC Meeting
18th August 2021
(Meeting held via Zoom)
Present: Revd Kate Massey, Revd Jo Joyce, Andrew Godfrey, Susan West, Paul West Rob Jones, Gary King, Ann Pipe, Les Pipe, Anne Murray, Emma Kennedy, Jane Udall, Kim Fawcett.
Apologies: Mary Ball, Mark Magee, David Spiers, Steve Marsden, Nigel Blease.
Revd Kate opened the meeting with prayer.
Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising:
The minutes of the previous meeting (14-07-21) were approved.
Matters arising: The Summer Gala was a success.
The Safer Recruitment process for the following people has been carried out, and PCC approved the safer recruitment of: Lesley King.
Church Building – Re-opening:
Feedback on the re-opening so far has been positive. Families attending for funerals are particularly grateful for the ease in restrictions on numbers.
Plans for further changes from September had been discussed at the Worship & Spirituality group meeting. This included:
Re-introduction of singing (hymns only) at the 10am Sunday service.
8am Sunday service to re-start, and to be live streamed (10am no longer live streamed).
Altar rail to be replaced for people to come forward for communion if they wish.
Bread and wine to be offered at Communion – if the congregation member wishes to receive both, the wafer will be dipped in the wine before being handed over.
Continue to encourage people to wear masks in the building.
Re-start coffee/refreshments after the service (volunteers/rota will be required)
PCC agreed to these changes, subject to regular review if the situation or guidance changes.
Several groups have also requested to restart meeting in the church hall/parish centre. This was agreed by PCC, subject to risk assessments (covering Covid risks) being completed and received, and with emphasis on ensuring that groups only use the areas/facilities agreed.
Action – inform Ann Pipe (Safeguarding Officer) of any new volunteers, to check whether they need to go through the safer recruitment process.
Music Missioner Proposal
Revd Kate circulated (prior to the meeting) a proposal to employ a Music Missioner, part time (8 hours per week, term time) to develop links with the schools through music, including setting up choirs etc. The post will be funded for 12 months (Budbrooke grant received). There may be some additional costs for PCC to cover, including reasonable expenses and £100 training budget. PCC agreed to advertise the post and cover the additional costs over the grant funding.
Action – Revd Kate to explore the possibility of additional funding from the Diocesan Mission Fund.
Reports and Decisions from sub-Committees
Buildings and Finance:
Gary had circulated the accounts for July prior to the meeting. There is still a shortfall between the regular giving (‘envelopes’) and the Parish Share, but this is smaller than this time last year. Otherwise, there is no particular concern with the accounts.
We are still awaiting the report from the Green Audit.
The Council has started work on the damaged headstone (currently removed for repair).
The planned works to the roof have been approved by the DAC, we are now awaiting Leigh Roofing letting us know when they will be available to carry out the work.
The Quinquennial inspection will take place on the 19th August.
The manhole covers on the path through the churchyard have been repaired by the water company, but WCC are yet to carry out any work on the pathway.
The plaque for Hannah’s tree has not yet been approved by the DAC – there was an error on the application form which needs to be rectified.
The Fire Safety inspection has been carried out, awaiting the paperwork.
A copy of the updated Lettings Policy/Agreement had been circulated – this was approved by PCC subject to the inclusion of the Diocese’s standard wording on Safeguarding, and amending the document to make reference to the Safeguarding Officer, rather than referring to Ann by name. All groups hiring the church hall and/or parish centre will need to re-sign the Letting Agreement and carry out a risk assessment which covers the Covid safety measures. It will be emphasised that groups must only use the areas/facilities agreed.
Action – Kate to check the standard safeguarding wording and include in the document, and to amend it to state ‘Safeguarding Officer’.
Action – Kate and Anne to write a cover letter and circulate the Lettings Agreement to all groups.
Worship and Spirituality:
Thanks to everyone who did a Summer Talk, feedback has been positive.
A programme for Autumn was agreed, including Creation tide, education, pastoral care and Black history month.
Holiday Club in a box is ready, 38 have signed up so far. The 10am service will be outside on 29th August at the end of Holiday Club week.
Harvest will be celebrated on 10th October, with a scarecrow trail in the community and donations invited for the Food Bank. This will also be Revd Jo’s last service before she moves to her new church.
Discussions ongoing about Messy Church – possibility of alternating online and in-person sessions.
Future of Small Groups to be considered – each existing group has operated differently (or paused) over the pandemic period. Small groups may need to be started from new.
Plans for Christmas have been started, including a Christmas Tree Festival trail in the community. Dates for the diary:
20th November – Christmas Bazaar (format to be discussed further)
28th November – Tree Festival launch
10th December (to be confirmed) – Bedworth Brass concert
19th December – Carol Service
24th December – Crib Service and Midnight Mass
Any other business:
PCC agreed to renew the ‘One License’ for a further year.
Revd Jo left the meeting and we discussed arrangements for her leaving gift.
Date of next meeting:
Wednesday 8th September 2021, 7.30pm (Please note – to be held in the Parish Centre).